SOQUEL HIGH FUND
The Soquel High Fund has been established to support academic, art, and athletic programs at Soquel High School, now and in the future. We are a group of parents, alumni, staff and community members working through a non-profit organization to strengthen Soquel High School and to ensure that all our students enjoy the very best educational experience.
SOQUEL HIGH FUND MEETING MINUTES
TUESDAY, MAY 8, 2012
SOQUEL HIGH LIBRARY
Executive Session 6:30
SHF Members: Diana Susoy, Janet Edwards, Juli McDermott, Caren Spencer, Shannon Fidiam, Richard Wygant
Guest: Ken Lawrence-Emmanuel
1. Sports Foundation: Recap of Monday meeting with SSF.
General Meeting: 7:00 P.M.
SHF Members: Diana Susoy, Janet Edwards, Juli McDermott, Caren Spencer, Shannon Fidiam, Richard Wygant, Jenni Strecker-Langenberg
Guests: Ken Lawrence-Emmanuel, Patty Threet, Greg Hill, Linda Eclarin-Martinez
2. Attendance & Welcome
3. Approval of Minutes & Agenda
Caren moved to approve the minutes and Richard seconded. Motion passed
Julie motioned to change agenda. Richard seconded. Motion passed
4. Treasurer Report – Janet
- Grocery Cards: Escrip-Janet is taking over the Savemart cards so that SHF receives those escrip funds. Janet and Shannon will work on getting together a comprehensive Escrip program to present to the parents in the back to school package. Shannon will contact Gail Alaimo who currently runs a scrip program.
- SOMU: made about $2,400 on the Calamari Dinner and their online auction (Bidding for Good) has made $3,000 and is going to continue through May 31st.
- Scholar athlete: There is one boy and one girl that play two sports and are top students. Caren felt the application process needed to be opened to all athletes so all can apply. Stu will be advised of the need to present the application to all students.
5. Randy Peck: The school board approved the naming of the Randy Peck memorial court. There will be a dedication the day after homecoming, Saturday, September 29th. Richard will work on raising funds this summer and will have a plan for the dedication and the BBQ to follow. The idea is to contact Mr. Rovick to have the woodshop students make a sign with the Knight logo, Randy’s name, his number, the year he graduated, and maybe an inspirational phrase from Randy’s “creed.”
6. Alumni Report – Linda
- Email blast policy: Want to put it in the June 15th wanted to include stuff about Mitch Meyer. The last newsletter had Mark. Eblasts: Waiting to get an email list from Dorreen at SoMu. We need to keep our alumni separate so they don’t get spammed. If it’s alumni related, we’ll send it. They contact Linda & she’ll determine whether it is an alumni item & if she has questions, she’ll contact Juli.
- Items for Newsletter:
- Newly completed diversity mural that SHF funded. Golf tournament pictures.
- Senior awards, sports events, Mitch Meyers, graduation photos, time capsule (have student do a write up; they’ll also decide what to put back in it).
- Sports: Softball team is doing incredibly well. Boys volleyball took 3rd in league & are in CCS Championships. Senior Awards are on June 6th. Thornton always does the scholar athletes. Stu needs to contact Caren & she can contact Thornton.
- Send pictures to Janet, who will put them on the website
- Upcoming SHF Board elections – do any alumni want to be more involved?
- Date for next year’s golf tourney?
7. Principal’s Report
- New Activities Director to Start: Start date?
- Retirement Drop-In: To celebrate Mark & Mitch, Ken will arrange for staff to have a drop in at Michael’s on Main on Tuesday June 12th. Currently no plan to book Michael’s on Main, just drop in. No ceremony, certificate or gift.
Disappointment was expressed and concern that Michael’s on Main will be severely understaffed if we don’t book it.
o 3-5 p.m. no host drop in (free)
o 5-7 p.m. sit down dinner - cost $35. Check to SHF to Viyada by June 1
- 50th Anniversary Time Capsule: Last week of May the time capsule will be opened. The MAH is working with us to restore the artifacts found within. Students are deciding what they would like to put in the new time capsule.
- Restore SHS History: There was discussion about restoring the history of Soquel High School. There are several markers honoring people and events in the past that have been removed. Janet suggested a book chronicling “Soquel’s Legacy”.
- New Music Teacher: Mark Bidelman’s replacement is Zena Urguart. She will be 80%. There will not be any guitar offered next year. We have a new choir teacher approved.
- Track Make Over: $100k from the District & $100k from Wharf to Wharf , will be used to re-do our track. WW rebuilt our track years ago, then re-did all the other high school tracks in the district. Now they’re coming back to re-do ours, not just resurfacing, but taking it out & doing it over. Right after graduation. It will be out of commission for 2 weeks.
- Freshmen Parents: There’s a group at the golf tournament, Lisa Seeger working with Freshmen parents, would like a contact.
- Summer Field/Track Clean Up: We want to prepare for our early homecoming and 50th Anniversary celebrations with a summer clean up. Ken will prioritize; create plans for outside, to be executed in his July absence – weeding, planting, clearing, side of bleachers to be cleaned up, etc.
- Ken Thomas is very active getting the track going & has a vision to recruit golfing landscapers from the tournament to help.
- John David would also be helpful in layout - what goes where. Home Depot has done community service days. .
- (Several programs start end of July. Bridge Program for 8th to 9th graders will be the last week of July.)
- Hoping to have big clean up several days mid-August (Ken returns August 1). Will blast requests for help. We need a painting day, replacing acoustic ceiling tiles, etc.
- Whcontact Neighbor Alliance & see if they’d be willing to help – Bonnie & ? ; Power washer day.
- Amgen Race: The race will be May 14th. Janet is leading the effort, making the signs. Grad night will sell food & wine. Parking $5 would go to grad night. But issue of whether free parking will be available at Cummings Park. Road will be closed at 2:15.
- Homecoming/50th Parade Permit etc.: Ken needs to look into getting a parade permit for coming up the road & ending at the school; request “no parking” signs for Old SJ Road, so we don’t have to deal with parked cars. New sidewalk will be in by then. Issue will be that we won’t likely be able to drive on the new track; need to develop plan. Suggestion to start from Little Tampico Parking Lot, go up Main Street toward Soquel, left on Soquel , through downtown, right on Old SJ Road.
- Proposed Homecoming Alumni Event Calendar:
o Parade: Thursday 9/27 from 3-4
o Barbecue: Thursday 9/27 following parade. (Appears that the Freshman team will be available, since they would be playing St Francis, which doesn’t have a 9th grade team)
o Football Game: Friday 9/28: (was there anything else this day?)
o Randy Peck dedication: Saturday 9/29; Barbecue to follow
o ?Breakfast Fundraiser for Alumni or something? Sunday 9/30:
- Prom: Prom this year will be at the Chaminade with a sit down dinner. The venue is more expensive, but they aren’t spending money on decorations, because it’s gorgeous & they’re not having to go out to dinner separately.
8. President’s Report
- Golf Tournament wrap up: Thanks to all our volunteers. Joe did a great job at the barbecue again! Joe gets sponsorship at the gold level. We paid them $800 for supplies based on their estimates. They said they doubled the amount of chili from last year & still ran out. Ice cream sandwiches were a hit and supported Mary, who helped us with the concert.
- For smoother check-in next year, more forethought into table placements.
- Definitely use the buy/order forms again – very helpful.
- **Next year, make sure it’s clear that the string cannot be used on the the hole-in-one.**
- Lots of people ordered the package Garth suggested, the bundles. His suggestions were a hit this year & likely to be a hit next year - they really liked the string. Garth was very generous, he gave us hats, brought the cigars & handed over all the donations. The money he brought in will cover golf’s spending from this season & leave them with about $1k for next year’s nest egg.
- Finances: General fund likely to net over $10,000! We had quite a few gold sponsors this year – largely thanks to Matt Fidiam, who brought in several sponsors & dedicated half to baseball & generously dedicated the other half to SHF! It was a successful fundraiser. We had 110 golfers.
- Staff appreciation luncheon June 4th. Juli will send out an email.
9. Summer Packets: These will be mailed this year and the district is paying for the postage. The packets will need to be compiled near the end of July to be ready for the August 1st mailing date
10. Open Communications
- Janet to put out the Coins for Curtains at the Musical
- SOMU Auction will wrap up on the May 31st: Biddingforgood.com
- SOMU report:
o SOMU made $900 from the Good Will trailer fundraiser.
o Greg Hill is moving on as his daughter graduates. He’ll be around to help next rounds volunteers.
o SOMU seeks a new treasurer. Paul Zimmerman is stepping in as SOMU president.
o May 30th will be Mark’s last “gig”. This Spring Concert and it will be a kind of sendoff for Mark. There is going to be a photo album with pictures of the many years of Mark Bidelman. No food provided.
- Pirates of Penzance this weekend & next. Janet to bring Coins for Curtains jar.
- SHS Gear: Shannon is working with alumna, Rayann on getting T-shirts & gear from her catalog & we have a parent who does embroidery & screening. Shannon will have prices for next time. Let’s include in summer packet the info on buying t-shirts, sweatshirts & gear with purchase sheet, etc. The new activities director can decide whether to do different t-shirts for different classes. (Link crew may already have class shirts).
- Elections: We need to hold elections next month. Shannon is leaving as a SHF member, but she’s still going to be very involved. Patty Threet was asked to she considerer joining & we have incoming freshmen parents too. Let’s try to recruit some diversity. Patty would like to be our board liaison with the district.
- To discuss: Whether to include a student board member.
- If we’re going to do elections, we need to put out a request in Knight Notes & among alumni members.
- June 5th is our next meeting. Juli moved to adjourn. Caren seconded it. Passed.